I’ve never liked the Philadelphia Flyers, but it was taken to a new level this season courtesy of the Winter Classic and HBO’s 24/7. That’s why the New York Rangers‘s dominance over the Broadstreet Bullies dating back to last season has been so rewarding. It continued today with a 5-2 win in Philadelphia, as captain Ryan Callahan led the charge with his second hat-trick of his career against the Flyers.
Check out the re-cap here.
- How about this powerplay? Scored one against the Tampa Bay Lightning Thursday night, and follow it up with THREE goals today. If it can begin clicking on a consistent basis, this team will be very hard to beat, and could allow Glen Sather to stand pat at the deadline.
- Adding to that note, this team is getting contributions throughout the lineup. Players like Brandon Dubinsky, Brian Boyle, and Artem Anisimov — who scored a goal today — have been playing a lot better in the offensive zone. You need offensive depth to make any type of run come spring time.
- Callahan now has 21 goals with the hat trick tonight, and should easily finish with 30-plus this season. He’s such a dynamic player, and to see the goals come like they did today is a very positive sign.
- Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik both had great games today. Richards had three assists while Gaborik finished with a goal and three assists. The Rangers need their best players to be their best players.
- Loved Dubinsky fighting that piece of garbage Zac Rinaldo. What is that guy even doing in the NHL?
- Henrik Lundqvist had another great game, especially in the second period when he faced 18 shots. Crazy to think that there is still a question as to whether he should the Vezina Trophy winner this season. He’s now 5-0 against the Flyers this season.
- Marc Staal keeps getting better and better. His game is coming back, and you see him taking the body more and jumping into the rush.
- Right back at it tomorrow with an afternoon tilt at MSG against the Washington Capitals.
Follow Matt on Twitter @MattCalamia