Players Assigned to the Connecticut Whale (AHL)
- Goalies- Chad Johnson, Jason Missiaen, Cam Talbot
- Defense- Lee Baldwin, Collin Bowman, Sam Klassen, Tomas Kundratek, Jyri Niemi, Jared Nightingale, Pavel Valentenko
- Forwards- Jonathan Audy-Marchessault, Tommy Grant, Jordan Kickmott, Tayler Jordan, Kale Kerbashian, Chad Kolarik, Chirs McKelvie, Matt Rus, Scott Tanski, Kelsey Tessier, Jason Wilson
Players Returned to Juniors
- Defense– Peter Ceresnak (Peterborough, OHL), Samuel Noreau (Baie-Comeau, QMJHL)
- Forwards- Shane McColgan (Kelowna, WHL), J.T. Miller (Plymouth, OHL), Michael St. Croix (Edmonton, WHL), Christian Thomas (Oshawa, OHL), Andrew Yogan (Peterborough, OHL)
A few surprises here, but not really. Disappointed to see Valtenko couldn’t even get through one cut. I think he took a major step backwards this year and has clearly fallen behind both Tim Erixon and Dylan McIlrath on the depth chart for the Rangers. Also a little surprised to see Kolarik not get through one cut. I thought he was very strong with the Rangers last season, but this obviously shows he didn’t make much of an impression on the organization this time around
For the players returning to juniors, a little surprised to see Miller not make the trip to Europe, but I guess management believes he’s better suited to go back to juniors sooner rather than later because in the end, he wasn’t going to make this team. Thomas really disappointed me. He was invisible the other night in Albany and didn’t dazzle me at Traverse City the way I thought he was going to. Either way, he was another guy who wasn’t going to make the team so why keep him up longer than he should be up.
In terms of who has stuck around, glad to see McIlrath, Ryan Bourque and Carl Hagelin make the cut. I don’t think any will start with the Rangers this season, but these are the obvious brightest spots (along with Erixon) in the minors right now.
Follow Matt on Twitter @MattCalamiaTHW